Friday, March 14, 2008

Baby Hats and Hoya Multiflora in Bloom!

It's been an exciting week for our family. My grandson was born, a healthy 6 lbs 15 oz, 22" long. He's nursing well, and growing like a weed, Diametrag and her husband are doing a great job.
When we visited in the hospital I was appalled at the baby hat they gave him. Knit from worsted weight acrylic; it was scratchy, unwashed, and it even had a seam! No wonder Bean wouldn't wear it. I'd complain, too.
I went home; I was a grandma with a mission. I dug through my stash and found a skein of Cherub dk left from my 2006 baby hats. When we visited yesterday, I brought a casserole for dinner and a new hat for Bean. I had never actually seen my hats on a newborn, and I was pleased to see it fit perfectly! The k2p2 rib is stretchy, the hat stays on his head and he can't push it off. The rib is a generous 3", and there's lots of room for adjustment.
I'd like to celebrate Bean's healthy birth into the world by knitting more baby hats for my local hospital. I prefer to knit newborn hats, all babies need to wear a cap to regulate their body temperature. In a wonderful coincidence, the Jo@nn shop had Bernat Baby Softee on sale at 30% off. I bought enough yarn for roughly 40 hats, which should keep me knitting until their next sale rolls around.
While this news isn't as important as Bean's arrival, I am delighted to see my Hoya Multiflora finally opened its first blooms! I used to have a pink Hoya, and the flowers were all fuzzy. These flowers are smooth and look almost artificial, they are so perfect.

Knitter's details: Bernat Baby Softee, Cast on 72 sts with #4 needles. Rib 3", change to #5 needles. Knit in rib pattern of your choice another 3". Decrease to 9 stitches, end off.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, March 14, 2008, Blogger Alwen said...

(Public) congratulations on your grandson's birth!

And nice Hoya multiflora! My Hoya carnosa bloomed this week, too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters