Monday, August 14, 2006

6.5 hour baby sweater


The 5 hour baby sweater is a myth. However, I would admit the existence of a 6 1/2 or 7 hour baby sweater.

I've knitted several 5HB sweaters, but not Lorraine Major's Quick Baby Sweater. On the web page, she says she made some changes to the 5HBS, and I like what she did. She added some length to the body of the sweater. This sweater doesn't looked short and unfinished, one of the characteristics of a 5HBS that I don't like. She added an extra 2 rows of pattern and a nice wide garter edge at the bottom. The sleeves are also longer, and decreased slightly before the garter cuff. Both are good decisions, IMHO.

I used #9 (US) needles and knitted very loosely. My sweater measures 21" (54 cm) around the chest and 9.5" (24 cm) from neck to hem. This will probably fit a baby for almost 6 months. This is good, since it is a gift for a baby to be born in October. She will be able to wear it through the winter, and maybe as a light jacket to fight the chill in late spring.

I have enough yarn to knit a hat and booties to round out the ensemble. I started with a 6 oz (170 g) skein of Red Heart Fiesta, and after the sweater, I have 62 g. The original 5HBS was designed to use one 4 oz skein, but this version definitely needs more. That's fine with me, I can use the extra for the hat and booties.

I've started a bonnet type hat, but am not sure that I like it. I could use Gail's version of a round hat (link in my previous post). DD, do you have a preference?

This sweater is seamless, my favorite! After the yoke is finished, put the sleeves on a holder or waste yarn and knit the body. The sleeves are knit in the round on dpns, leaving a little bit of weaving at the underarms. I am so chuffed because there are no ladders on my sleeves, and I knitted with 4 dpns instead of 5. I would guess that's because the sweater is knitted so loosely the ladders simply blend in.

Here's a thought. Why couldn't you make this a v-neck sweater. Cast on fewer stitches at the beginning, and change the increases to include a v shaped neck. When the v is deep enough, start knitting in the round, then divide for the sleeves and body. Continue knitting the body in the round, and finish the sleeves in the round. I would have to decide how deep to make the v, but it would be nice to slip over a baby's head and not fuss with ties or buttons. hmmmmm. I'll have to think about that. I'll have to discover the proportions for a V-neck to get a good fit. The 5HB V neck sweater sounds enticing.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:19 PM, August 14, 2006, Blogger Leahtk said...

Wow, that looks fantastic! I like the round hat in the same style that you liked in the last post. Thank you so much, Jason and Ashley will love it!

 
At 9:36 PM, August 14, 2006, Blogger tatt3r said...

Round hat coming up! Love ya, Mom.

 
At 12:36 PM, August 15, 2006, Blogger Karen said...

that is so bobbily pretty!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters