Friday, May 05, 2006

Blue on Blue


I'm not blue about my Pi Doily, I simply had to get a good look. I finished round 30 of Clue 3, Selection B, and was curious to see how the Vines are working out. Yesterday I did major repairs when I tried to get a peek on the 16" circ. I lost about 9 stitches and and to rework the pattern with a crochet hook, 2 spare dpns and lots of cursing and swearing. I thought fondly of frogging tatting; this was far worse than opening a closed ring.

Then I remembered I had 2 #0 24" circs previously used for 2 socks on 2 circs. I slipped the stitches onto the needles and pinned it out on my bobbin lace pillow. The pillow is light and portable, so I took pictures with the pillow leaning against my front steps.


I'm not sure Vine is looking the way it should, but I'm going to continue and resist the urge to frog. Since it's a doily and I'm not going to wear it, I am not as concerned that it be perfect to my eyes.

This is the biggest doily I've ever made, either knitted or tatted. The Pi formula is the absolute best, as far as I'm concerned. I've tried other knitted doilies, they are languishing in the UFO drawer. The counting and increasing get too complicated for my experience level. The Pi concept limits increases to specific rounds, and allows me to knit my lace pattern and keep the number of stitches constant. Perfect for me. I love the feel of thread running through my fingers, this doily is fun to knit.

Now I'm on a quest to discover how to combine lace patterns for the best appearance. I've reserved several more lace knitting books from the library. I'm going to learn from Susanna Lewis, Mary Schiffman, Barbara Abbey, and Martha Waterman. I'm also interested in garter stitch based lace patterns for my PiR2 shawl. The shawl is no longer active, but not forgotten. I'm not going to continue that one with the KYOAM clues. I'll find my own lace patterns after I learn more about lace.

KYOAPi Doily Details: Cebelia #20, color #799, size #1 needle, 16" circ. Currently 288 stitches, about 15 1/2" diameter. Clue 1C, 3x3 Leaf; Clue 2A, Snowdrop; Clue 3B, Vine.

One last note: I finished 3 baby hats for the hospital. I'll take them to the knitting social tomorrow. No picture right now, they are in the wash.

2 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Alwen said...

Oh, it looks lovely! Can't wait to see it in the flesh, er, thread. Size 20 Cebelia on size 0 needles, huh? (scribbles notes) And me with 14 size 0 needles to play on now! :)

 
At 1:53 PM, May 05, 2006, Blogger Kristina Plaas said...

Lenore, Your doily looks great! I took inspiration/courage from you and frogged my 3D section and restarted with the vines. Mine looks similar to yours, so I think we're doing OK. I started a pi doily too using Opera 10 and size 4 needles, but I'm not sure about it. I definitely want to do a doily. I know I can knit one large enough for the tea table next to my recliner where most of my projects get created. I never seem to get there with tatting ;-)

{{{hugs}}} Kristina (aka TNTATTER)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters