Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Heirloom Knitting


The trunk show was wonderful! Kathy Kirchner always brings wonderful threads, tools, and books. Oh, the books! You won't find these titles tucked away in the craft section of any regular book store. Kathy has a wonderful selection of books all relating to lace, knitted, tatted or bobbin.

It's nice to have the actual book in hand before you make a purchase. I passed over Barbara Walker's Charted Knitting Designs because I paged through and saw many charts of cables. I found another book had lots of beautiful pictures, but not a lot of substance. Then I picked up Heirloom Knitting and began paging through. I saw page after page of charted patterns with pictures, and thought this might be the book I'm looking for. Then I found the chapters discussing design, and I knew this was the book for me.

I didn't buy any thread or needles, I want to read this book and then decide what I need to work through the book. My friend, Alwen, found some beautiful thread and 4-0 and 5-0 needles. I'm looking forward to seeing the wonderful lace she knits.

We wouldn't have access to Kathy's trunk show if it weren't for our lace group. The West Michigan Lace Group has grown beyond any expectations I had 9 years ago. We started in 1997, four tatters meeting bi-monthly in the public library. Now we have 25 ladies or more at our monthly meetings, and our interests include not only tatting, but knitting, crochet and bobbin lace. Our Show and Tell last night included a knitted lacey shawl, 2 knitted doilies, a vintage crocheted lace medallion, and a newbie tatter's first doily. Our members are generous with their talent, friendship, and laughter. We welcome everyone, and there is always a member willing to teach and encourage a wannabe tatter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters