Friday, August 25, 2006

Chemo Hat for Made by Hand


I was reading blogs and following links the other day, when I happened to read about Made By Hand, a small group of knitters who intend to knit and crochet chemo hats and donate them to the Mollie Wilmot Radiation Oncology Center in Saratoga, New York. How can I resist? Especially when their FAQ specifically states ‘no store bought hats, hand made only’. (One of the Yahoo Groups I’m on has shifted focus so dramatically, I think of them as the ‘Shopping for Charity’ list. Why do people think they are doing someone a favor when they buy and donate stuff from the dollar store? Sheesh.)
I found some Lion Brand Micro Spun in a delicious color. The label says lilac, but I think it looks like periwinkle. It’s dk weight, and using #5 needles, I cast on 120 sts and started knitting. I finished the hat about 11:30 pm last night, just before going to bed. I have only 20 grams left from a 70 gram skein, what a good thing! Now I can knit another, and send them off to the gals at Made by Hand. Their deadline is October 31, so I can relax and take my time on the second hat.
I sent off my box o’sox yesterday! I met a woman through the Knit List who was making booties for a SW Indian reservation, and I offered my 5 pairs of toddler/child sized socks. She was delighted to add them to her shipment. After a brief vacation in sunny Florida, my socks will be put to work warming the toes of small children. I am delighted to send my socks to a place that has a need and will use them. I’ll start filling another box o’sox; as long as I have sock yarn, I’ll continue to make socks to warm the children.
Knitter’s details: 120 sts, #5 dpns, Lion Brand Micro Spun, about 50 grams for the hat. 21” around, and about 7” long with the brim rolled. It looks short, but fits me pretty good. I may use #4s or cast on fewer stitches for the next one, this one might be a touch large. Micro Spun is very soft, but had a tendency to split or drop stitches when my attention strayed.

4 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, August 25, 2006, Blogger Karen said...

That color is gorgeous, I'm sure it will brighten someone's life. Bless you for your generous spirit.

 
At 10:07 PM, August 26, 2006, Blogger Alwen said...

Nice looking hat! It looks periwinkle on my monitor, too.

 
At 7:20 AM, August 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, check out my site about chemocaps: www.chemocaps.nl
After being confronted with someone with this awful desease, I knitting some too and made this site. I will put some more patterns on it soon.

Carla M

 
At 7:25 AM, August 29, 2006, Blogger tatt3r said...

Thank you for the link to your site, Carla. I'll watch for your new patterns!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters