Friday, November 24, 2006

Progress on my Lacy Pi Shawl



I've finished the section with 48 rounds and 244 sts on my Pi shawl. The pattern is a variation on the Horseshoe pattern. It looks nice, and I'm very happy with it. I started the next section, 577 stitches and 96 rounds, and am now using my second skein of yarn. I chose a variation of Old Shell, a 6 round repeat. I read that the wider repeat should reduce the waviness in Old Shell.

I weighed my skein before I started this section, and there were 8 grams left. I knit 6 rounds and added my new skein. I guess I will get about 36 rounds from this skein of yarn. (skein = 50 gram. 50/8 = 6.26, 6x6 = 36)

I have 3 skeins left, and my basic plan is to save the 3rd skein for the knit on edge. My theory is that each stitch on the pi shawl will get 2 rows of the knit on edge. If I get 36 rounds from each skein, then an edge with 18 stitches should use up most of the last skein.

As an additional safeguard, once I choose my edging, I will knit 2 or 3 repeats, unravel and measure how much I used. I can multiply, and compare to the yardage in the skein. I'll need to remember to knit 2 rounds plain before starting the edge, so I can adjust the number of stitches in my pi to fit the number of rows in the edging.

Knitter's info: Knit Picks Shadow, 100% Merino Wool, Oregon Coast, 50 grams, 440 yards, Lace Weight yarn, #5 US needles.

2 Comments:

At 11:58 AM, November 27, 2006, Blogger Karen said...

That is gorgeous, but I think I will stick with rectangular shawls.

 
At 1:14 PM, December 02, 2006, Blogger soapy said...

goregous! Love the color

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters