Tuesday, December 12, 2006

KISS Pi Chart


Here's the charts of the patterns I used on my Pi Shawl. Keeping to the KISS principle, I used patterns with yarn overs on every other round. Be sure to watch the numbering on the right side of the charts and don't forget the plain rounds.
I used the Cat's Paw pattern in the section with 24 rounds and 144 sts. I started with 3 plain rounds, worked the chart and ended with round 24.
Horsehoe worked in the next section, 288 sts and 48 rounds. I started with 4 plain rounds, worked the chart 4 times for 40 rounds, and ended with 4 more plain rounds. This pattern uses SSK and K2Tog, and I thought it was pretty enough, although not as simple.
Last is a variation of Old Shell, a multiple of 20 stitches. I knitted a few plain rounds after I doubled my stitches to 576, and then added 4 more stitches to get 580, which is evenly divisible by 20. I knitted 4 plain rounds, and wish I had knitted 6 plain rounds. It would appear a bit more symmetrical to my eyes. This section is theoretically 96 rounds, and I will probably get a few more than 80 before I run out of yarn on my 3rd skein.
I'm thinking about which knit-on edging I want to use, but haven't begun swatching. I'd like something that incorporates one of my patterns, perhaps the Cat's Paw would be nice. I'm looking for an edging about 18 sts wide. If you have any suggestions, I'll consider anything!
I was feeling a bit apologetic about my KISS Pi Shawl - it's not as lacy as some of the other shawls I've seen on blogs and around the internet. I happened across EZ's Knitter's Almanac yesterday, and took another look at the Original Pi Shawl on the cover. That shawl is not a lacy masterpiece, it has a large proportion of stockinette, a moderate amount of yo's, rather like my KISS shawl. You know, if it was good enough for EZ, it's good enough for me. I'm looking forward to wearing my new PI shawl sometime next year.
I hope you can read the charts if you are interested. I'm just a knitter trying to Keep It Simple, not a professional designer.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, December 17, 2006, Blogger Norma said...

Would you please write out the instructions for me for the first row of the cat's paw pattern? I can't read the notes on the side of the chart, but my sts didn't work out on the 144 sts.

Norma

 
At 3:54 PM, December 17, 2006, Blogger tatt3r said...

Round 1:*k1, yo, k2tog, yo, k2tog, k11* repeat around.
Round 2: knit plain.
Round 3: *yo, k2tog, yo, k2tog, yo, k2tog, k10* repeat around.
Round 4: knit plain.
Rond 5: repeat round 1.
this is a multiple of 16, you will have 9 repeats. Place markers for every 16 stitches, and it will help you get the count right.

I knit 3 rounds plain, started the chart with the fourth round, and ended with rounds 21, 22, 23 and 24 all knit plain.

hope this helps!

 
At 4:41 PM, December 17, 2006, Blogger Norma said...

Thank you so much. I'll try again.
I posted to the group also...but I thing I've finally figured this comment moderation thing out too. I couldn't figure out what they want me to do. :) I'm sooo chanllenged! Hope I'm not being too big of a pest.
Norma

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters