Saturday, February 18, 2006

More Opal Socks!


Last night I finished the orange socks for me. My son gave me the yarn for Christmas, and I now have my first pair of Opal socks. I think they are a bit too short, and I might want the heel flap longer. I like a sock that is snug in the heel, but these feel too short at the toe. I'll wear and wash them a few times, then make some notes on my pattern.
Also another pair of baby socks. This colorway has lots of white, so I think I will continue making baby socks from this skein. I could get knit a pair of kid's sized socks from what is left, but I think the white will stay nicer in an infant sock.
I'm trying to keep good notes for my sock knitting. I keep a page in my notebook with all the critical information for each pair I knit. When I get feedback, I make a note on the pattern and the next pair I knit can be closer to the Perfect Sock.
I think a new sock knitter should keep and wear the first pairs they make, rather than giving them away. Some of my first socks are my least favorite; baggy through the heels, loosely knit and sloppy by the end of the day. I never would have known I needed to go down another size of needles, or change the way I bind off if I had given the socks away. I also think I should do the same when I change yarns. I gave my daughter the first pair of Opal socks I knitted, and I'm not sure how they fit and feel. I am looking forward to wearing my Orange Opal socks and discovering for myself how they feel and wear.

2 Comments:

At 8:54 PM, February 18, 2006, Blogger Alwen said...

Uh-oh, I better not let my son see this screen: orange is his favorite color! And his feet are getting so big, your socks might even fit him! :)

 
At 11:21 AM, February 19, 2006, Blogger Leahtk said...

BTW, the Opal yarn is doing well for those socks. I machine washed them the first time and they came out kind of scrachy, but I hand washed them and then they came out much softer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters