Third Pair for the Box O'Sox
I’m binding off the third pair of socks for my Box O'Sox. Knitting on 2 circs went a little quicker after the heels. I finally decided to mark my needles so I could tell at a glance which needle to pick. I am amazed at how much that helped me. The yarn and needles still twist together and I have to fiddle with that, but with my needles marked there is no more double and triple checking to make sure I am knitting onto the correct needle. It speeds things up and reduces frustration somewhat.
I resisted marking my needles for a long time. I guess I didn’t want to ‘spoil’ them. Then I realized these needles were Mine, all Mine. I'm not giving them away, no one would want them. They have a sweet little curve that fits so nicely to the shape of my hand. I grabbed the indelible marker, and put those two little lines on one of the dpns. Makes a world of difference. I highly recommend it.
Since I’ve been knitting toe-up socks, I have tried several different methods of sewing off the cuff. I'm adding a link to a Toes & Heels (and more...), a great collection of links to bind-offs, cast-ons, and various sock miscellany. I may try the Russian Bind off for the next pair, but with this pair I finished with an inch of k1p1 ribbing and grafted as if I were finishing a toe. I take care to get a good tension, i.e. not floppy, not tight, but I'm not always successful.
Last night I was taking off my socks, one of the pairs that are too tight at the top. I wasn’t careful, and I heard a tiny rip as I pulled them over my heel. Darn. I mean it. Darn. I threw them in the hamper, but I’ll check them in good light today and see if I can find the actual break that needs mending. Darn it. Darn those socks!