Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Bobbin Lace!


Bobbins, pillows, thread, pins, scissors, pin lifters, tiny latch hooks, spangles and more. Our lace group received a wonderful gift last night.
I don't know the specifics, but a lacemaker died and her husband wanted her collection of bobbin lace equipment to be used and enjoyed. Alwen shared everthing with our group.

Our group has only 5 or 6 active bobbin lace makers, and when they were done, the box was almost empty. How wonderful that everything will be used. One gal who is trying to learn with the 'horror kit' was delighted to take a small ethafoam pillow and more bobbins. I took 12 pairs of continental bobbins for myself, they match some I already have.

I took whatever was left home with me and intend to make a 'take it home and try it' bobbin lace kit for the members of our lace group. I will supply thread, a book, prickings, bobbins and pins along with the large cookie pillow you see in the pictures. I can't call that pillow 'home-made'. I prefer to describe this beauty as 'hand crafted'. It is 22" with a nice heavy base, and green felt on the top.

The box is spectacular. My husband does a little woodworking, but nothing like this. I brought it into the house, and he looking it over immediately, exclaiming at the workmanship. Finally, you can peek into the drawers, a few spangled bobbins were left behind, along with some nice thread.

All I can say is, Thank you Mr. S. I will be sending a thank-you note soon. I know I will think of Mrs. S. when I use her bobbins.

2 Comments:

At 3:30 PM, June 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have done hand work for seeming hundreds of years. I would like to add bobbin lace to my list but haven't found any bobbins at antique stores. Do you know if there are any groups like yours in the southeast part of Michigan?

 
At 3:47 PM, June 15, 2006, Blogger tatt3r said...

Check out The Great Lakes Lace Group at http://www.gllgi.org/

If I lived closer, I would be a member of their organization in a heartbeat! They helped me get in touch with a certified bobbin lace teacher on this side of the state.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters