Tuesday, August 29, 2006

SamplerM - Part 9


Falling Leaves uses no special stitches, but it was tricky to knit. I had to knit from the instructions line by line and counted each purl row to be sure I was maintaining my 40 stitches. I was able to switch to the graph for all of the earlier patterns, but I felt more comfortable knitting this one from the words.
My SamplerM is at least 20" long now. I'm surprised at how easily it has grown to this length, just adding a few inches at a time. I only take an hour or so once a week and the new pattern is done. My knitted sampler is like tasting little bits of exotic appetizers. I take just a taste of something new, then move on to the next new flavor.
My Milanese Lace Sampler is totally different. This sampler is about 7 inches long, the result of hours of struggling with threads and bobbins. This little bit of lace is meant to build my skills and is not the attractive showcase that SamplerM is. Since I've known how to knit for more than 40 years, and only began to learn bobbin lace 3 years ago, it's actually not fair to compare the two samplers. I can only hope that when the lace sampler is done I can see improvment over the length of the lace.

4 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, August 29, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate to point this out, cuz I really hate finding mistakes but I think you might have one. It's the top diamond on the left hand side. See how it doesn't quite meet the boarder stitches right, it looks connected, rather than with Yo's all the way around... I Love your pictures of your baby hats, you've inspired me to knit more hats! It's almost hat weather too. Yippee!

 
At 5:33 PM, August 29, 2006, Blogger tatt3r said...

You're right! I remember one of those pesky YOs slipping off the needle. I must have picked up the wrong loop. Oh well, good thing it's only a sampler, cuz I'm not taking it out.

 
At 7:19 AM, August 30, 2006, Blogger soapy said...

it looks great! I'm a little behind wiht mine...

 
At 6:05 PM, August 30, 2006, Blogger Alwen said...

Looks nice -- I better hurry up and knit mine before Saturday rolls around again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters