Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Generations Purse from Knit Picks



I received a catalog from Knit Picks last week, but didn't settle in to read it until this weekend. I knew there was a lot of information about lace knitting, and I enjoyed looking at the shawls.

Then I found the pattern for the Generations Purse, and I couldn't help myself, I had to knit it! I used #10 crochet cotton and #1 dpns; my bag is 4 1/2"W x 6"L. I think this will be perfect for a ball of thread and tatting shuttle. I haven't blocked my bag, I put a colored card inside to give it a bit of shape and show off the pattern.

Of course I had to tweak the pattern just a bit. I am seriously challenged when it comes to sewing seams, so I was determined to make this project seamless. I cast on 76 stitches and did 2 rounds of double knitting to create an open tube, as described on Alwen's blog. It was a bit tricky to switch to dpns and establish the lace pattern. At first I kept the 38 sts in the lace pattern on 1 dpn, and used 2 additional dpns with 19 sts each. After I got tired of struggling with 4 dpns, I determined where to divide the lace panel so I could knit with 5 dpns. (sts 10 - 28 on one dpn, 19 sts on the others)

I'm not sure if my eyelets at the top line up as the pattern intended. I would have had to make some adjustments for knitting in the round, but I was watching tv and finished the first eyelet round before I realized there was a problem. It was late, I was cranky, and who cares about eyelets, anyway!

My only problem was with row 9 of the chart. Row 9 has a double decrease symbol, but the legend to the right says this: "slip 2 knitwise, k2, pass 2 slipped stitches over." I went to the Knit Picks site and downloaded the pattern here. This version has written directions along with the chart, and Row 9 says "slip 2 sts knitwise, k1, psso". However, the legend on the chart is also incorrect. I did neither, I slipped 1 stitch, k2tog, psso. I freely admit mine doesn't look as nice as theirs, and if I ever do it again, I'll slip 2, k1, psso.

I think I'd like to knit this one again, eventually. I'd like to conquer that annoying decrease in Row 9, and align the eyelets properly. But most of all, I'd like to knit it in a darker color. Ecru isn't real practical for a bag that is intended to carry a tatting project. I would like to find a dark rose, or perhaps a sky blue to make this really practical. I wonder if I could use 2 strands of #30 Cebelia? hmmmm. Maybe I'll try that later.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 11:14 AM, April 17, 2007, Blogger Sande Francis said...

Your bag is really cute! I used to tat, but have kinda given it up. Too many other things nagging at me - spinning, knitting, weaving... I have that KP catalog - I'll have to take a look at it and make a few of these bags for gifties. Thanks for the idea!
sandeleh@sbcglobal.net

 
At 2:31 PM, April 18, 2007, Blogger Karen said...

How pretty and delicate that is. Great job!

 
At 12:46 PM, April 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty!

Perhaps next time you could turn the item inside out and then do a three needle bind off for the bottom...if it makes it easier put each half of the stitches on straight needles to make it easier.

If you have one too many sts to line up evenly reduce by decreasing before you bind off.

That technique should eliminate ANY sewing, as well as improving the look of the seam you were not too happy about.

www.knittinghelp.com for a video of a three needle bind off.

Happy Knitting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters