Saturday, March 04, 2006

Cotton Socks for Summer


There's been some discussion on the Socknitter's list about cotton socks for summer. I finished 4 pairs of Regia Cotton Surf socks in May 2005, and wanted to show how they have lasted for the past 9 months.

First I must confess, I wear my socks without shoes in the house, and even scamper out to the mailbox with no shoes. I wash my socks with all my regular laundry, cold water and in the dryer. My socks have never been hand washed and laid flat to dry. They wear their wrinkles proudly in the drawer, but straighten out nicely on my feet, and behave in my shoes, when I remember to wear them. I do not knit heirloom socks, I will mend or toss when they get holes.



I can see the colors on the feet have faded some, but the cuffs are as bright as new. When I knitted them, I was concerned that the cotton might not have the same memory as wool socks, so I knitted them in a variety of ribs. The red are fluted ribs, and the others are moss rib, seeded rib and Harris Tweed rib, all knit with #0 needles at 8 - 9 sts/inch. I don't think I needed to worry, Regia Cotton Surf knits up much like other sock yarns I've used. Because of the ribs, these are the best fitting socks I have, they still hug my foot and feel the best of any I've knitted.

I hope this helps. I love my Regia Cotton Surf socks! I've never knitted a sock I didn't like, I send them to the frog pond till they behave!

4 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, March 06, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you sure like to knit socks!

 
At 8:26 AM, March 08, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

Does the Regia Cotton have some elasticity built into it like the Fixation, or do you just need to make sure that they are always knit as a ribbed sock to ensure stretchiness? The only cotton I have ever used is Fixation. Is the Regia Cotton larger in diameter like Fixation or is it similar in size to regular wool sock yarn? Wow, I didn't realize I had so many questions.

 
At 8:39 AM, March 08, 2006, Blogger tatt3r said...

Regia Cotton has no elasticity like Fixation, it knits up exactly like regular wool sock yarn. The little bit of cotton makes the sock a tiny bit cooler in the summer. IIRC, it may be plied a bit looser, and split a little easier than wool sock yarn. Not enough to drive me crazy, though. Hope this helps!

 
At 12:08 PM, March 08, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the information on Regia's wearability. I wear socks like you, without preservation in mind. I like to run around in them, and also have been known to run out into the yard. I have too much to do to hand wash socks. Seeing the socks after wearing them for so long is very telling. Any socks look good when first made. Thanks for taking the time to post them..
Tricia

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters