I resolved my bookmark distraction with very little problem. I found a pattern I liked in Rebecca Jones' book, 'The Complete Book of Tatting' on page 68. I made one change to the chains. I added two picots and joined to the previous chain on the sides, but did not join the end chains. I didn't want the chains to be floppy, and the bookmark passed inspection.
All rings are 6 p 6, or 6 j 6, all picots are separated by 4 ds. There is a tiny ch4 that goes from one motif to the next. That's all there is to it! The bookmark you see is in size 20 thread, and 1.25" x 4" long.
I couldn't fit a tassle or braided tail, darnit, so I had to find my needle and hide the thread ends. That's okay, it fits inside the card nicer without a tail.
Now I have the first bookmark done, I can measure the remaining thread on my shuttle, and know how much to wind for the next bookmark. A perfect carry-along project for the month of March. I'll see how many I can get done for Lisa. Between socks, of course.