Friday, December 21, 2007

Newborn Hat, Knitted Catnip Mousies

I finished 2 mice and a little hat for a baby boy. My Christmas knitting was almost done until I decided I needed to knit for some little ones.

The mice are from left-over sock yarn, and I will give them to the cats that own my children. I'm not happy with these mice, the nose isn't right. I couldn't find the pattern I've used before, and used Esther's pattern for a catnip mouse here. Several years ago, I knit a very nice mouse that ended with knitting the bottom together with the top after you turned the nose. This pattern sews a seam, and I don't like the nose at all.

I am pleased with the hat, however. I used Opal Sock yarn, #2s and #3s. Cast on 96 stitches, (24 sts each needle) and k2p2 rib for 2" with #2s, then 4" k2p2 rib for 4". (total 6"). I used to have a problem when decreasing on a k2p2 rib hat; recently I found a method that works well. The trick is to k2tog with one knit st and one purl stitch. The purl stitch disappears, leaving you with a smooth transition to stockinette. To begin decreases, move your stitches so each needle begins with 2 purl sts.

Rnd 1: *p1, k2tog, k1* Rnd 2 &3: *p1, k2* Rnd 4: *k2tog, k1* Rnd 5: *k* Rnd 6: *k4, k2tog* Rnd 7: *k3, k2tog* Rnd 8: *k2, k2tog* Rnd 9: *k1, k2tog* Rnd 10 *k2tog* 8 sts left, finish as usual.

The hat used about 24 grams of yarn, so I should be able to get 2 hats and 4 baby sockies from a 100 gram skein. Bean and his cousin will be warm this winter!


The hoyas all have new growth, nice shiny leaves. I had a hard time deciding which to keep and which to give. If they were bigger, I'd take cuttings.

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 8:13 AM, December 31, 2007, Blogger Diametrag said...

I have the mouse from the original pattern if you want to look him over when you visit on the 12th.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters