Monday, November 24, 2008

Hat for Bean and Schlumbergera blooms


I finished an earflap hat for Bean, it looks like a good fit to me. The booties are huge, but I'm taking them along anyway. We'll at least try them on and see how close they are. I used Woolease and #8s. The pair I made with #5s was almost too small. I should have dug a bit deeper and found my 7s, but I use them so rarely they are deep in a pile somewhere.

I used a pattern for an earflap hat I found on a blog. It's for dk weight, and I used the smallest size, Woolease and #8s. I feel confident the hat will fit, at least for the weekend.


Two more Thanksgiving Cactus opened this morning. I picked up the red one last year, and nursed it through the summer. It is a beautiful, true red, with a prominent white throat. This picture doesn't show the throat because I like the side view of these blossoms so much.

I picked up the yellow one this weekend, and the first blossom is now fully open. I was looking over the display of plants; pink, white, and orange. Then I saw this one, the only yellow one. I darted around a man who was holding a pink one and looked very undecided. I snatched the yellow from the table, "This one is coming home with me" I said. He put the pink one down and finally decided on an orange one. You snooze, you lose, especially when there's a yellow houseplant involved.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, November 25, 2008, Blogger Alwen said...

It doesn't pay to be slow when there are flowers on the line!

 
At 9:42 AM, November 29, 2008, Blogger Becky Dempsey said...

What is your secret to getting them to bloom again? I have one that hasn't bloomed in about 7 years since we moved to our current home. I wasn't going to stay in the trailor just so my Thanksgiving/Christmas/Easter cactus would keep blooming!

 
At 10:05 AM, November 29, 2008, Blogger tatt3r said...

Thanksgiving cactus start forming buds in the autumn when the nights get longer and cooler. It takes 3 weeks of 15-16 hours of continuous darkness to set buds. I keep mine in my dining room, where, oddly enough, we never dine. (except holidays) They also do well in a spare bedroom, because the cold temps also set buds. My notes say it takes night time temps of 65 deg. to set buds. You might be able to get some flowers yet this year! Do you have Thanksgiving cactus or Christmas cactus?? Pointy segments or round segments?

 
At 7:21 PM, November 29, 2008, Blogger Becky Dempsey said...

I guess I would say pointy segments. It has been in a corner of the living room behind a chair and next to the TV (to keep the kids out of them!) The blooms were like the one in this picture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Christmas_Cactus_004a.JPG
although its never been that densely branched! Maybe I'll put it in the basement and see what happens!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free web counters
Free web counters