J has been working on Diametrag's guitar, but there hasn't been much to show until now. Here is the inside top of the guitar. J wanted this picture to document how he placed the braces. The placement and thickness of the braces affect the quality of the sound. If it sounds good, he may want to duplicate this pattern without prying the first one apart.
The same principle holds with the inside back. Each guitar builder has his own idea as to what makes a guitar sound good, so each set of plans is a bit different. J isn't using the plans he used for his first guitar. Although I sometimes call him Mr. ChangeIsNotGood, he likes change for his wood working.
Here is the outside back of the guitar. You can see how he pieced the back because the wood wasn't wide enough. He took a long time to decide how to piece it, and I think it looks good. I also love the stripe down the middle.
After I took these pictures, J. glued the top and bottom, and now it's one piece. I got a good picture of all the clamps and rubberbands he used.
The rubberbands were old and kept breaking all evening. It was dangerous to sit too close to the guitar, as Kaylee
soon found out. After the first 2 snapped and zinged
past her head, she moved to a different corner of the room.
J gave the guitar a good thunk with his thumb after he removed it from the mold. It has a beautiful, lively sound. Now he will work on the neck. He gets antsy when he assembles the neck, Jake's bass was almost a disaster.
Labels: acoustic guitar