Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dragon or Dino?

The pattern said Dragon, but I think it's a Dinosaur. It's for Bean, my grandson, and he won't care what it's called, he'll just make it growwwlllll.

The original was sport yarn, I used Red Heart Worsted. Knitting with #6 needles left a few gaps, you can see one by the eye. I should have either used #5s or a double strand of yarn, but by the time I realized that, I was not going to frog all that knitting.

The pattern has several mistakes and I had to grit my teeth and fudge some decreases. I finally relaxed about the whole thing when I told myself, "It's just a toy!" and so Bean will have a squishy toy from his grandma. The eyes are a bit creepy, but I like the crocheted shells up the spine. Pretty cool for a gal that can't crochet much.

Here's another project, a Duduza doll. I didn't want to knit a traditional teddy, with all those pieces, and all that sewing. I read about a charity that needed Duduza dolls and I thought I would try the pattern for Bean. Of course, I had to change the pattern just a bit. First, I decided to knit it in the round. I hate sewing seams, plus I'm not so good. Then I decided to get even fancier, and started off with a closed tube, double knitting. I added a few stitches to make the doll wider, then had to make it a bit longer to keep the proportions correct. I knit all evening, finally putting it away just before bedtime. All I need to do is find some brown variegated yarn for the hair and...Wait a minute.
As I drank my coffee this morning, I realized if I finish the hat/hair and decrease, I won't be able to stuff my doll! Wow, that was close! Knittin' Grandma had a senior moment last night, and only the gray dawn of morning saved her from a Serious Knittin' Goofup!
Now the plan is to stuff the doll, finish the head, stuff and then seam the arms/legs/neck/waist.
My Great-Nephew was born at the beginning of the month, and I'm getting his package ready to go. I have the Seamless Kimono, in sock yarn, a pair of booties from the leftovers, and a bright blue bib done in kitchen cotton.

Labels: , ,

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Seamless Baby Kimono - Done!

The kimono is done, and I have about 32 grams left from my 100 gram skein! I could make 2 pairs of matching baby socks, I don't think a hat would be used much. I made 2 ties at the corners but am wondering if I need 2 more ties inside. Or maybe a button and a loop. It's pretty lightweight, and the fronts might not stay put.
I notice the seed stitch borders tend to flip around, too. I'll see if I can't gently block it before I send it off.
The kimono is a good size, bigger than the 6 month size I expected. The sleeves are 3/4 length, and that was intentional. I found a partial skein of Opal Petticoat in my stash that is delicate pink, yellow and white. I have enough to make another kimono for a girl that will arrive this summer. I'm going to stop at the dime store tomorrow and find some #4 circs for that sweater. I think I'd prefer a firmer knit for the next one. #5s are just too big.

Labels: , ,

Monday, February 02, 2009

Seamless Baby Kimono in Sock Yarn

I'm expecting to be a great aunt this month, and I guess I'd better pick up this little sweater again. I have had this skein of Regia Cotton Surf for years - it's so old it weighs 100 grams instead of 50. I've tried to make a scarf or socks with it several times, and each time I frogged it. There's something about the colors I don't like, but it will be fine for a baby boy.
My nephew lives in Georgia, and the weather is hot in the summer. I thought a light weight kimono would be useful for a summer cover up anywhere the A/C is too cold. I find it hard to imagine too much A/C, but I don't live in the South.

I'm using the Seamless Baby Kimono from the Complete Fabrication blog. It's really just a top-down raglan sweater with surplice fronts. The original pattern is written for 8ply, so I've had to make some modifications for my little sweater. I'm using #5s with sock yarn, which is almost too big, but the resulting knit fabric is soft and light. I'm getting about 6 sts per inch, and I decided I wanted a 6 month size sweater, and 112 sts for the body.
I saw her kimono had 100 sts for the body, and so I multiplied everything by 112% to get my numbers. So far it looks pretty good, even a bit larger than I expected.
I also am keeping 3 stitches in garter for the front border, and it's nice and stretchy. I finished the yoke and put the sleeves on scrap yarn; my skein has 70 grams left. I should be able to finish the sweater, and maybe even a pair of little socks!

Labels: , ,

Free web counters
Free web counters