Monday, July 31, 2006

Sampler M Parts 4 and 5

Here is an update on my SamplerM, I have now finished parts 4 and 5. I haven’t knitted any baby hats from these patterns, but I did knit a hat using the Coffee Bean pattern that Marnel contributed to the International Sampler.

The Coffee Bean pattern is very similar to the Mock Cable Eyelet Rib I used for earlier hats, but there is an extra row between the eyelet and psso which elongates the Coffee Bean just a touch. My hat is knitted with Cascade Cherub Collection 4ply, size 2 needles. I cast on 84 stitches, and think this made a rather small hat. I think the hat is almost small enough for a preemie, but it should stretch to fit a small newborn.

Friday, July 21, 2006

Lacy Baby Hat with SamplerM Pattern 3

I've been busy with major construction at our house, but managed to knit the third pattern for my SamplerM. It's another pretty pattern that translated easily to a baby hat for the local hospital.

I made a small change to Pattern 3. I changed it to a multiple of 8 rather than a multiple of 7. I added an extra stitch to the eyelet section which gives me a continuous edge stitch on both sides. I didn't like the way the first eyelet was immediately next to the purl stitches, while the last eyelet row had a plain stitch separating the eyelet from the purl stitches.

I don't know if you can see the difference in my photo. I can see the difference in 'real life', and I'm pleased with my little hat.

I have a new link to Save the Children and their campaign to collect baby hats. I will probably send one hat, but I am happiest now donating to my local hospital.

The doily in the picture is hairpin lace and tatting. I sold the pattern to Old Time Crochet just before it stopped publishing. You can find the pattern at if you are interested.

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Green Baby Hat in Snowdrop Pattern

This baby hat is knitted using the second pattern from Knitalong SamplerM Yahoo Group , Carla named it Snowdrop.

I used size 4 needles for the cuff, then size 5 for the pattern. The yarn is Cascade Cherub Collection DK. The hat is sized for newborns, I cast on 72 stitches, knit 3" for the ribbing and 3" in pattern before decreasing at the top.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Sampler M - Part 2

Here's the second part of Sampler M. It is a simple eyelet rib, based on k3p3 rib. Here I knitted a baby hat using a similar eyelet rib (it's the pink one). That pattern used a k3tog instead of the sl1, k2tog, psso that Sampler M uses. I didn't care for the k3tog, and haven't knitted that pattern again until now. I had no problem with the pattern this time, so I will try another baby hat without the k3tog.

I'm taking 2 hats to the Knitting Social today, and will probably finish a 3rd while I'm there.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Here's two baby hats I'll take to the LYS this weekend. I have another on the needles, and should be able to finish it up in time for the knitting social. The hat on the left is the Wavy Rib pattern, and the blue hat is the Mock Cable Rib pattern. My first round of decreases for the top shaping was the round of the pattern that slips a stitch and passes it over 2 stitches. The second round I knit the knits and purls, and did not do the eyelet. I like the look, it finishes the cable to my eye. No socks on the needles this week, I must need a little break.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

tatt3r’s knitting stuff started out about knitting socks for charity. It expanded to include knitting hats for babies, then expanded even more to include my tatting and bobbin lace.
Today I am starting a new blog, tatt3r's lacystuff. I plan to continue to post about my knitting for charity, but I want to post about my lace in a different blog. In my mind I keep my lacy crafting separate from my charity crafting. Lace is an indulgence, a personal enjoyment. It hurts my head to post all my crafting in the same spot, it feels all jumbled together. But what about knitted lace, she asks. If it's knitted with yarn, it will be here, if it's thread, it will be there.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Sampler M - first part

The first section of Sampler M was posted Saturday, and I finished my version last night. I am knitting with #10 crochet cotton from my stash, the band is gone so I don't know the exact brand. My first attempt was knitted with #2s, and it was very loose. I knitted this sample with #1s, and could probably go down another size, but I am tired of ripping, so it will stay as it is.

I made my own chart for an 'L', and it didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I ripped that back a couple of times, too. As I finally got an 'L' that looked recognizable, I realized that my letter was not centered correctly. I'm not reknitting again, it will have to be crooked. I'll do better on Section 2, I hope. I've known how to knit for at least 40 years, and it's humbling to think this little Dutch girl did such a nice sampler, and I'm struggling to get something I can be proud of. First round goes to Little Girl M, I'll be back for round two!

Free web counters
Free web counters